"Red Rocks Strangers"

This story isn't as traumatic as my other stories ... you'll be happy to know it doesn't end in disaster.

At one of my recent jobs there was a local band (Big Head Todd and the Monsters) that wanted my company to sponsor their upcoming tour so they gave me free tickets and back stage passes to their show at Red Rocks.

I invited a friend to join me and we headed up to Red Rocks with our tailgating fair and our tickets.

Once at the amphitheater, we parked and arranged our little picnic in the parking lot. For those of you who've been to Red Rocks, you know that tailgating and partying with people you just happen to park next to is part of the whole experience.

So, in the next row of cars, in the car right across from us, there are three people. A couple and their friend. Immediately they start to chat with us. Evidently they just picked their friend up from the airport the night before from finishing his tour in Iraq. His friend then tells us that since he's been in Iraq, he's pretty horny looking for a good time...and feeling out if either one of us is interested.

Um, No. But thanks for the offer.

These guys and the poor woman who is married to one of them have a 24-case of PBR. They explain that they didn't have much time before the concert and stopped by a gas station on the way up to pick-up some beer. So not only is it PBR, but it's 3.2 PBR. Why bother?

Evidently, the only way to tolerate this beer is to shotgun it. The two friends precede to shotgun several beers and even crush the cans on their foreheads. Seriously.

They are like a traffic accident and we can't stop laughing/staring at them and we know that this is only egging them on. They then decide that it's their mission in life to get us to shotgun a beer with them.

Um, No. But thanks.

I know I'm totally square, but I got through college without shotgunning a beer and I'm thinking I'll live fine the rest of my life if I don't shotgun a beer.

I'm sure you know how easy it is to say "No" to drunk guys on a mission. Long, long story short, my friend and I decide we would shotgun a beer, if only to stop them from haranguing us.

For those of you (like me) who don't know how to shotgun a beer, here is the 411. You poke a whole in the bottom of a beer can, then holding it near your mouth so you can quickly suck down the beer, you pop open the tab of the beer. This relieves the pressure and the beer comes shooting out. You are then supposed to drink this shooting beer as fast as you can.

Now in theory, this may sound like a very efficient way to drink your beer. For those of you who have done this, you know that it is a very painful party trick. You see, because you are drinking this shooting beer as fast as you can - there isn't anytime for the carbonation to dissipate. All the gas from inside the can/beer end up in your stomach. Ouch!

Of course, this then leads to very big beer belches...which coming from a petite girl are quite un-lady like and hysterical.

Please know that this will be the last time your fair Fiona gets talked into shotgunning a beer!

My friend and I have now polished off our own six-pack (of a very tasty micro-brew by the way) and have shotgunned another and decide it's time to hit the port-a-potties and start our way up the hill and many stairs to our seats.

With beer in hand, we start our journey.

I'm not going to tell you about the port-a-potties and why we decided the bushes were a better option. We'll leave that for another post.


One thing I've noticed while imbibing at Red Rocks, is by the time I get to the top of the stairs that small elevation gain makes me drunk faster. Tonight was no exception.

To be continued.

The moral to the first part of this story? Too much of a good thing is bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Giant and the Single Girl (The Giant part two)

"Camel Toe"

Blood Diamonds